Tuesday, May 11, 2010

It isn't always glamorous being a nurse

Have you ever digitally removed feces from someone's rectum? I have. Good times. I think I deserve a new Coach purse...

Bowel care is VERY important for hospitalized patients. It is something that is supposed to be addressed every shift and most patients have a standard bowel care protocol. We prefer that patients have BMs ever day but we try not to let it go longer than 2 days. One way that I have added a little spice to my job is to make a little competition out of providing bowel care. Another nurse and I have made a game. We award ourselves an imaginary gold star for every suppository that we administer on our shift. So when I give a patient a suppository, I go and tell Cassondra that I just got a gold star. We don't officially keep track of gold stars or anything, but it makes us feel better about our embedded obsession with shadoobies. We may be nerds, but it gives us something to laugh about. Bowel care rules!

No comments: